Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Chicken Fried Chicken

I saw this recipe over at Mommys Kitchen and since I'm a fan of Chicken Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak. I decided to try it out for our Sunday dinner last week. It didn't disappoint I followed the direction almost exactly. I saw almost because I tend to season all of my meats before cooking with more than just salt and pepper and this recipe was no different so I did season my chicken a little before patting/flatten them down some and after.



I served mines with Collard Greens and Mashed Potatoes as sides. This was a perfect Sunday Meal!




Chicken Fried Chicken

6 to 8 - skinless and boneless chicken breasts
4 1/2 - teaspoons salt, divided
2 1/2 - teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 Sleeves - saltine crackers, completely crushed
2 1/2 - cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 - teaspoon baking powder
1 - teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
8 - cups milk, divided
4 - large eggs

Peanut oil

Flatten Chicken Breast some., if using really thick ones, you can use a rolling pan or a meat tenderizer mallet.
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (and any additional seasonings you want to season the meat. I used garlic powder/salt & Mrs. Dash season evenly over chicken. Set aside.

Combine cracker crumbs, 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and ground red pepper. Whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk and eggs.

Dredge chicken in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a 12-inch skillet. Heat to 360°. Fry chicken, in batches, 10 minutes, adding oil as needed. ( I fry to my liking I suggest you do the same)

Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack in a jellyroll pan. Keep chicken warm in oven.


**I did NOT use this recipe for the gravy, I just do my own, my way no real recipe. If you don't know how to make gravy you can try this one below. OR just go buy you brown gravy packet by McCormick and follow the directions on that one**

Cream Gravy:
Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 6 1/2 cups milk slowly about a cup at a time stirring in between. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment