Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Meatball Sub Casserole


Meatball Sub Casserole


Let me start of by saying that this casserole was I think one of the best yet. My whole family really enjoyed this dinner. I found the original recipe over at Menu Musings so far I am loving all of the recipes I have tried from that site. Of course with all the recipes I find, I tweak them some to match my families taste and also what I have in my pantry. This one was no different in the original recipe I saw it called for Mayo, which I do not eat, so I used Sour Cream instead and it turned out perfect. This recipe really only calls for things that I'm sure that you already have on hand, so here it is.

Ingredients:
  • Loaf of French bread
  • 1 tsp of Butter/Margarine
  • 6 oz Cream cheese, softened
  • 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp or a little less- Italian seasoning( Mrs.Dash-original/ garlic/herbs, Parsley, garlic Powder)
  • 1 bag of frozen meatballs, thawed out enough to cut in half
  • 1 can spaghetti sauce (I used Del-Monte Traditional but you can use Hunts Brand)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese ( I used the Italian Blend)
Directions:
*Toast your bread first-you can do it in the oven or toaster*


In a casserole dish layer in the ingredients, starting with the semi-thick slices of French bread. Immediately rub the bread with the butter when you remove the bread from the oven/ toaster. The butter will actually start melting down into the bread, giving it a great flavor, then I sprinkled it with a little garlic powder.
For the next layer, combine the softened cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings. Spread this on top of the toasted bread.
On top of the cream cheese layer, add the thawed meatballs which you have cut in half.
On top of the meatballs, add the whole large can of spaghetti sauce.
On top of the sauce, add your cheeses(use the Parmesean first, then the Mozzarella/ Italian Blend. Sprinkle with just a little more of your seasonings if you'd like-I sprinkled a little Mrs. Dash (Garlic/Herb)
Bake covered for 30 min at 350-400 degrees depending on your oven. Then about 5 minutes or so uncovered just until the cheese is the perfect amount of melted! Enjoy
Step-By-Step


This is basically all you need to make this recipe
Slice your bread my casserole dish held about 8 slices, then Toast your bread and place it in the casserole dish, then butter them while its still hot and sprinkle a little garlic powder on them.
Combine the Cream Cheese, Sour Cream and Seasonings and spread this mixture on the buttered bread slices
Cut the Meatballs in half place them on top of the mixture, and pour the whole can of pasta sauce over the meatballs
Add your cheese, on top of the sauce starting with the Parmesean first then the shredded Cheese, and then sprinkle with a little Italian Seasonings.
Bake at 350-400 degrees for 30 minutes, Covered and then remove covering and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, Uncovered until the cheese is melted the way you want.

Serve right away, I made corn as a side dish with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment